Re: [MV] glow plugs cycling & wait light in a HMMWV

From: Vadim Kogan (vadim@XCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 00:09:43 PDT

Thank you everybody for fast responses.

I have KDS CS-2695 and non-swelling glow plugs. Tomorrow I will check to
make sure I can pull them out. I have to drive it tomorrow, but after that
it's going to sit in the garage 'till I figure out what's going on.

As many of you have mentioned, "flickering" is the right word. The light
doesn't come on to full brightness, just barely visible. The glow plugs are
NOT cycling when this is happening (when glow plugs cycle I can see the
effect on other lights and gauges).

An alternative explaination came from Gene... He suggested that it might be
the relay that lets water into the engine that is going bad. Today I've seen
the light behave this way only twice... First it was a few minutes after I
started driving (I had already warm engine). The temp gauge was just on the
bottom of normal operating range (about 200 on my gauge). As the engine got
a little warmer (driving 50 mph) the light went out completely. It came back
on really faintly as I was pulling into my driveway, the temperature was
again close to 200. Glow plugs did not cycle at all during the whole trip
(as I said, I had already warm engine).

As I pulled into the garage, the brake light (for hand brake, on the dash)
was faintly lit when the brake was off. Same kind of faint light as the wait
light, except not flickering. I wonder if it could be a purely light-related
problem (e.g. bad ground).

Thanks again for the help,
Vadim.