Re: [MV] NHC 250 questions

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 13:08:46 PDT

AS stated below my posting it won't harm the engine BUT I would not rev the
engine after it starts for a least 5 minutes to let the oil pump circulate
oil around the bearing/wear surfaces. By letting it idle it will go a long
way letting the oil do it's job and preventing excessive wear as all the
oil that was pumped/thrown about the last time the engine ran has receded
to the oil pan unless it was drained. Oil capacity is normally 24 quarts =
6 gallons. If it will crank over with the starter motor I would not
recommend cranking the engine without first pulling the intake hose off the
intake manifold and visually verifying no critters have taken up residence
inside the intake. Also have someone standing next to the intake manifold
with a heavy piece of wood that completely covers the air intake opening in
case the governor is stuck in full throttle position and tries to run away.
Engines have been known to throw parts to hither and yon when run wide open
with no way (this is were the wood comes in) to shut it off. If the engine
starts and takes off on a never ending journey RPM wise place quickly (with
no fingers on the contact side of the wood) the wood over the intake
opening to smother the engine and shut it down. You may have to drill a
hole in center of intake opening after doing this type of shutdown to
relieve the vacuum.

Jim