Re: [MV] HMMWV crushing and other dumb things

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 13:10:23 PDT

>NOT true at all Steve. As a small business owner,
>financial consultant, securities trader and former
>ranking member of the GOP, I really do UNDERSTAND how
>it works, perhaps too well for my own mental good.

Sorry, I can only judge your knowledge of the subject based on how you
react to it. I see the typical knee jerking about paying too much and
having taxpayer's money wasted.

>I just don't approve of how it works and I think there
>is a better way where everyone can be treated
>fairly...and SAVE the taxpayers a bundle while
>enhancing our HOBBY.

Nothing works in a vacuum. Someone has to pay for the true costs of
these items at some point. If the Gov't doesn't, then the consumer will
have to. And since the consumer is the taxpayer, what difference does it
make?

Consumers have shown that they are totally unwilling to take
responsibility for anything that happens as a result fo their lethargy
and selfishness. It is selfish "I don't want to pay a lot for that
muffler!" thinking that drives their jobs overseas where labor markets,
social accountability, environmental responsibility, and democracy (in
places) can produce things cheaper than can be produced domestically.
 And how do consumer's want this negative process fixed? By having
domestic products produced cheaper, not actually paying for what it costs
to produce things locally. Of course they would have to work for about
$2 a day without any worker's rights in a cesspool with nightly
disappearances of neighbors in order to do that, but they don't want to
hear that. They don't want to pay the true cost for their actions.

I am not in favor of the Humvee crushing policy. But I understand where
AM General is coming from and can't argue with it as much as I would like
to. I think there are smarter solutions to AM General's concerns, but if
we keep electing boobs into office (another problem with consumers is
they don't want to get involved in gov't) that won't likely happen.

Steve