RE: [MV] M151A2 Starting Problem - Finally solved !!!

From: Antonio Regazzoni (Home) (antonio.regazzoni@bluewin.ch)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 02:20:27 PDT

Hi List,

I finally solved my M151A2 starting problem ! The culprit was a faulty ignition
coil. I found a spare one from another engine and I could check mine and
this one with an ohm meter. Mine had an interrupted high voltage winding !
Eventually, if the batteries were well charged, the higher voltage could
overcome the interruption and produce weak sparks, good enough to start
the engine. As soon as the batteries voltage dropped just under 24 V, it was
not enough to start it.

The pulsating gas story has become clear to me too. It happens only if the
carb bowl is empty. By cranking the engine in this situation, the float is
in a down position and the fuel starts filling up the bowl. The pressure
increase inside the bowl pushes the fuel up through the large jet in the
throat. This happens until the float closes the fuel intake valve.

Now my M151A2 starts even without pushing on the accelerator with just
a short crank time, less than a second !

Now I'm ready to start using the AN/GRC-106 and AN/VRC-46 I installed on
the MUTT to contact other hams from Switzerland.

Thanks to the list for the useful help you gave to me !

Antonio Regazzoni, HB9RBS

1944 Willys MB
1974 M151A2
1975 Pinzgauer