Re: [MV] SS Re: [MV] anybody know this man?

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 13:23:31 PDT

At 3:45 PM -0400 9/19/03, Steve Grammont wrote:

>I don't agree. This is the logic that the gun control and anti-MV lobby
>(hey! on topic again <g>) use. It's the gun's fault that little Billy
>blew away his schoolmates. It's the MV's fault that some domestic
>terrorists like them (but to my knowledge not use them in crimes, but
>that is besides the point!). Faulty logic doesn't solve problems... it
>creates more of them.

I'm not talking about banning all computers because some kid might
use it hack a web site (that's the gun control path of logic). I'm
advocating realistic and proportional response to the hacking problem
(that's not really a problem). If the Government put more pressure on
Microsoft to secure their products (how many "critical" updates are
available for a fresh install of Win2k?

>No, the problem is absolutely, without any question, the kids and their
>parents. Kids need to be taught right from wrong and understand the
>consequences of their actions BEFORE they screw up. Yeah, I got in my
>fair share of screwups as a kid, but I was very concious about harm to
>others and to their property even when I was a very young tot. I'm not
>saying I never screwed up and damaged something or caused someone grief
>by accident, but my actions were such that such damage and grief was
>limited to one or two people and a handful of dollars. Not millions and
>billions.

It used to be, what got a kid a conversation between dad and a cop
results in felonies and

>A kid could pick that lock and break into a Dairy Queen, but could he
>pick the locks of the Pentagon and screw up that place? Could a kid send

If a kid can pick the lock of the Pentagon then the Pentagon needs to
re-examine their security.

>out enough stamped envelopes in one afternoon to crush the ability for
>the mail services around the world to deliver mail? The lock analogy
>doesn't work because there are better locks available and a kid can only
>pick so many locks before he gets caught.

Spammers are clogging up the mail servers more than viruses. I don't
see the feds going after them any faster. And as you've agreed
before, the problem with the government is that we're just getting
more laws that don't really fix the problem. DMCA for example.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)