Re: [MV] 20 years from now

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 14:20:11 PDT

> Petroleum products could all be put under a special tax to discourage
> their use, to encourage alternatives, to finance research, so that a
> gradual process would evolve. It will not happen, not becuase of the
> oil lobby, but because of people who love their SUVs.

Point #1: Last time I checked, there WAS a special tax on motor fuel,
which certainly discourages ME from buying it. This tax goes for, among
other things, road improvement. It SHOULD, of course, go to railroad
improvement, so that the number of cars and trucks on the roads is reduced.

Point#2: The oil lobby has always acted to discourage alternative uses,
such as "free" solar. If you were rolling in profits from a captive market,
wouldn't you do everything in your power to kill the competition?

Here's another point to ponder:

When I was a little fellow, mowing lawns to make a living, regular gasoline
was $0.25 per gallon. Hi test was $0.28 per gallon. Diesel was $0.20 a
gallon.

Let's see, the ratio of regular to Diesel was 5 : 4. That means that right
now, if regular is, say, $2.00 per gallon, Diesel should be $1.60, right?
Then why, can anyone explain, is Diesel $1.95 at the pump? The explanation
used to be that Diesel, being a fuel that required less energy than gasoline
to refract, costs less. Anybody know the answer? Don't tell me greed...I
just wouldn't believe that!!!

apb