Re: [MV] V-100 question on drivetrains

From: Richard Lathrop (lathrrs@snip.net)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 19:12:18 PDT

Jim,

Yes, the ratios on the V100 and the M35 axle are the same. What is different is that the V100 used a different spline axle, which is hard to locate and a locking differential.

Due to the axle breakage problem in Vietnam it was authorized for maintenance troops to replace the V100 differential carrier with a M35 carrier so that axles would be more available.

The major reason for the breakage of axles were troops starting off in 1st gear in 2 wheel drive on hard surfaces. That is why the later V100's had a lockout on first gear that required that you place the transfer in 4wheel drive prior to shifting into first gear.

I would suggest that your friend check his axles he may find that he already has a M35 carrier installed.

Thanks,
Rick

From: w7ls <w7ls@blarg.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:17:38 -0700 (PDT)