Re: [MV] In the name of 'security'

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 09:13:57 PDT

At 8:34 AM -0700 9/28/03, Employee@MilVeh.com wrote:
>About your 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 14th ammendments in
>the U.S. Constitution, all topics which directly or
>loosely extend to military vehicle ownership, events
>and association:
>
>I know this is hard to accept this, but it's just not
>reasonable to prosecute for a felony against a person
>not committing a felony. Feds are unlikely to ever
>bother you if you have done nothing wrong.

Tell that to Steve Jackson. That's the poster child for government
intrusion going wrong and failing to live up to the simple statement
of "we screwed up". Tell that to a number of people held as material
witnesses because they may know someone who might be a terrorist. An
employee downloads a technical document from a hacking BBS that's
available for a few bucks out of trade magazines and catalogs. He may
or may not have brought it to work but the Secret Service raids the
company and effectively closes them down because they're clearly at
the center of a major hacking conspiracy.

Gee, change a few of the items, and we could have one of us
downloading a military technical document from a military web site
that is "sensitive" (after all those deuce steering wheels need an
EUC!) and passing the information off to someone who knows someone
who knows a terrorism suspect.

>Am I saying that makes government intrusion ok? No!

But you are saying it's a good thing, which in my book is short sighted.

>If you are victimized by unlawful government intrusion
>it's wrong. Even if this means terrorists could get
>an open door, possibly for delivering a nuclear,
>chemical or biological attack that kills many
>thousands and costs us billions. It doesn't matter.
>
>If this is the price we have to pay for our freedom
>from annoying, intimidating, sometimes foolish,
>government intrusion...so be it!

You very much appear to be one of the "we have nothing to hide, so we
have nothing to fear" crowd.

Any increase in "big brother" in the name of security should be
approached with extreme caution.

For more on the Steve Jackson Games vs the Secret Service see:

http://www.eff.org/Legal/Cases/SJG/
and http://www.eff.org/Legal/Cases/SJG/gurps_labor_lost.article

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)