Re: [MV] M35A2 positive batt. cable

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 19:00:48 PDT

You don't want to wire the battery switch the way you described. From the
starter motor terminal you should find heavy wires that feed power from the
batteries to the starter motor, attached to the same terminal you should
see a couple of slightly lighter size wire's. One is the accessory power
wire and the other is the alternator wire that feeds power from the
alternator to charge the batteries and provide power to the truck. So make
sure you don't accidently put the switch in-line with the alternator that
feed 24 volt power to the accessory switch and the light switch. Trace them
and you should easily be able to tell which is which. Disconnect the
accessory power wire from the starter terminal and connect your battery
switch to this wire and from the battery switch back to the starter
terminal. The idea is when you shut off the battery switch the truck is
dead to anyone trying to start it via the starter button in the cab. If you
install it correctly the starter terminal is hot with 24 volts 24/7. If
you try to start the truck with the battery switch where you described it
below you will rather quickly fry the battery switch as the starter current
is well over 400-600 Amps. I drive a civilian dump truck and all of our
trucks have battery switches and they are all installed as I described above