Re: [MV] M35A2 positive batt. cable

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 04:44:06 PDT

Glenn,
Do you really need to put a switch in the starter circuit? There are two
cables going to the positive terminal of the battery, one heay to the
starter solenoid and nothing else and a second, smaller gauge, to the
regulator/accessory switch and circuit breakers.
Generally, the smaller gauge cable already has the accessory and lamp
switches in the circuit and the regulator draws its power from the
generator, never from the battery (internal diodes make sure of that).
If you must add a switch for the entire vehicle, use the ground cable at the
battery, but remember the cranking current on a cold day...Hundreds of amps.
If the switch gets warm when cranking, then you are losing power across it.
For security, replace the accessory switch with a key type.

Cheers,
Bjorn
MVPA 19212
Meadows of Dan, Virginia