Re: [MV] M35A2 positive batt. cable

From: D O (dohe69@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2003 - 19:44:48 PDT

The switch I used is rated at 250 A continuous, and will take 1000 amps for
I forget how long but it is much, much longer than the batteries would be
able to crank the engine. 2500 amps for 5 seconds.

If you just want to disable the starter switch, it is an easy job. I chose
to kill the entire truck for a few reasons. One, to prevent my stupidity
from leaving me stranded by leaving the lights or blower switch on. This is
the main reason :-). Two, to prevent a malfunctioning switch or electrical
component run the batteries dead and leave me stranded. Three, to be able
to shut everything down in an instant in case of a problem. Another reason
is theft deterrent. Yeah, this ground switch can be bypassed, but where it
is located it is harder to get to than to duck under the right front wheel
well and jumper the starter solenoid. Also, eventually someone is going to
be checking out my truck and flip some switch on without my knowledge. I
don't normally let kids (of any age) use the truck as a playground, but its
good PR for MV'ers to show your truck, and if there is 2 people, there is 1
too many to watch 100%.

Even with the ground switch, I still want to put a keyed switch in the dash
for additional theft deterrent/complexity, as well as to be able to disable
the starter switch to prevent me or someone else from hitting the switch
with engine running. Just my paranoia. But this would be the easiest to do
if someone just wanted to prevent activation of the starter button, as it is
the lowest current circuit in the system. Next step is after the engine
mounted starter solenoid. The step after that is between that solenoid and
the starter mounted solenoid.