Re: Re: [MV] Gun Trucks

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Oct 05 2003 - 12:49:56 PDT

>You guys are for getting the purpose of a "gun truck". No its not going
>to be bullet proof, no its not going to be blast proof. The Purpose of a
>gun truck is to supress the enemy from taking over a convoy. Only a
>handful of trucks is needed to protect the convoy from a "AMBUSH" not a
>isolated mining incident. It is not used to cary equipment. Only
>destructive firepower.

True, but if the big danger is in fact an "isolated mining incident", as
it appears to be at this stage of the conflict, then gun trucks are the
wrong tool to tackle the problem. Gun trucks might solve other problems,
but I can't recall the last time I heard of a US soldier killed in a
small arms fire ambush. But every couple of days I hear of several
killed and seriously wounded from bombs.

>If the Army had enough or used "Gun Trucks" then the convoy ambush that
>Jessica Lynch was in would have had a different outcome.

There might have been more dead Iraqis, but the end result would have
likely been the same... total elimination of the supply unit. That was a
sizeable ambush of an isolated unit, in an enemy controlled area, in an
ideal ambush location, without supporting friendlies, and lacking more
than basic combat training (i.e. these were not mech infantry). A few
armored trucks could not overcome that particular situation IMHO.
 However, armored trucks are likely to keep away the riffraff that
currently go about attacking convoys, and therefore are a good idea.

Steve