[MV] Google search

From: D O (dohe69@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 17 2003 - 20:29:06 PDT

Well I just got a mail delivery failure for the entire group on an email I
sent regarding Google's anti-gun policy. I had several news links regarding
this, but apparently these are what got my email rejected? so here's a
summary. Google has some policy in their search engine that they will not
pull up a gun manufacturer or seller, nor will they allow such to advertise
within their sites. Maybe this is old news to some, but today is the first
I have heard of it. To verify, try a search on Bushmaster or Colt, and
compare your results on Google vs Ixquick, Metacrawler, Yahoo, Webcrawler,
etc. In my attempts, Google only pulled up news articles, especially with
"Bushmaster", regarding the DC shootings. NEVER did they pull up the
manufacturer's website. The others pulled up the manufcturer's website
within the first 3-5 listings. I also tried "bushmaster parts" to filter
out the news articles and see if it pulled up the many products that they
offer to the NRA national match competitors interests, only received more
news articles.

Apparently I have been "edited" because of a few news links I supplied, so I
will not supply any for this email. Just try your own search regarding
"google gun policy" and see what you come up with.

For those concerned with MV content lately, Bushmaster and Colt make the
black things that are held in place with some in-dash MV mounts. So there!

There was one link I had that is a petition to try and change Google's
policy. I disagree with that strategy. It is obvious that the leaders of
this company are already anti-gun, and it is unlikely that words will change
their true opinion. They will only adjust their policies to whatever
provides the most profit. So, in my opinion, let them do what they believe
in, and just not use their service in any way. Let the $$ make it known, IF
enough people are there to do the same. I for one will never use their
search engine again. No, that won't affect their profit directly, but if
enough people do the same, their search volume will go down and make them
worth less to advertisers. Money talks.

http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es