Re: [MV] Wiring for Air Compressor

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 18:51:24 PDT

> If they work at home, then they're single phase. The
> big ones will be
> two leg single phase. Home service doesn't have
> three phase unless
> you live in an odd home.
++++++++=
You'd be surprised by the number of houses that have
three phase!

Some for Air Conditioning, others that are just BIG
houses.

In many cities where three phase is more common it's
not all that unusual. As a matter of fact, in SOME
eastern cities there are many old houses that were
originally wired for DIRECT CURRENT! They not only
still have those panels in place, unused, but they
still have the plumbing for natural gas lighting, too.
 In more rural areas you may even find a tank buried
near the back of the house that was a calcium
carbide/acetylene generator for gas lights in the
house.

Trust me, you NEVER know what you'll run into in an
old house! I've torn a lot of it out!

Commercial buildings are even MORE fun, steam engines,
coal shutes, ancient wooden elevators run by leather
belts, a hand/rope powered elevator that was used to
bring Ford Model "A" bodies down from storage to put
on the customer's new car.

You wouldn't believe some of the places I've crawled
through to do wiring, especially at Eastman-Kodak,
just contract help though!

Joe