Re: [MV] fuel mileage on M35

From: Mark Ehle (markehle@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 08:04:49 PST

I run my M35 in the summer with a set of spline-less front hubs (I keep the
splined ones with me, too), and if I am going to drive it on the road for an
extended period of time, I pull an axle shaft out of the rear and cover it
with one of the front hubs. I have never gotten stuck with this setup, but I
don't go out and try to, either. I also never exceed 2600 on the tach. I
have also modified the fuel density compensator.

I am not sure how much better my fuel mileage is because I have never
checked, but I can honestly say that after these mods, there is noticeably
less vibration, it is quieter, and has better acceleration. Less vibes hav
to equate to longer equipment life. It certainly makes it easier on long
trips. I would also have to bet that my tire life is extended, too.

I can't speak for anybody else's experience, but I know the above facts to
be true for me.

Mark Ehle
1970 AMG M35A2
Dowling, MI

>From: "Everett Doyle" <194cbteng@bellsouth.net>
>Subject: [MV] fuel mileage on M35
>Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 07:39:21 -0600
>
>I have read with interest the various things done to M35's to increase fuel
>mileage - I do not have a dog in this hunt for my M35 is not driven enough
>for me to be concerned about fuel mileage. But I have these thoughts -
>will
>money spent for larger tires and wheels, disconnecting drive shafts,
>cutting
>splines out of hubs, etc. increase fuel mileage enough to warrant these
>being done.
>
>One fellow posted something that made more sense to me -- "stay out of
>it" -- meaning if you do not try to make these trucks try run "against the
>govenors" fuel mileage is not bad so bad, and wear on other components is
>reduced.
>
>I am not being critical of folks who want to spend the money to make all
>the
>changes - guess a poor country boy like me just does not understand.

Frustrated with dial-up? Get high-speed for as low as $26.95.