Re: [MV] Generator wattage?

From: J (W7LS@blarg.net)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 20:33:30 PST

I'm not the generator expert, but here's my take: Assuming it is a 60 Hz
AC generator, the engine will need to be able to keep the rpms at
exactly the right rate to make the generator poles spin at a rate that
makes 60 Hz. If you put too big a load on it, the motor will not be able
to keep puting out 60 Hz. That's one factor. The other factor is the
generator portion. Too much load will pull the output voltage down below
an acceptable value. If you look at the circuit breakers or fuses, if it
has fuses, they will be sized for somewhat more than the rating of the
generator. Normal operation at full rated output power shouldn't pop the
fuse, but a temporary short will pop them. You might put some space
heaters on the output and watch the output voltage sag, as you add
loads. Figure you've reached maximum power when the nominal 120 VAC
drops to 115 or so. That's my 2 cents. Jim