Re: [MV] 6.2 l glow plug removal tools

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 08:36:50 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron" <rojoha@comcast.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2003 5:37 PM
Subject: [MV] 6.2 l glow plug removal tools

> ALL my glow plugs are toast due to a failed glow plug relay. The
relay
> was an aftermarket type, rated for 12 VDC. It could not handle 15, or
maybe
> 18 VDC and cooked in the ON mode.
> Maybe if you use the push button method,
> you should install an indicator light hooked onto the glow plug side of
the
> relay to tell you your glow plugs are cooking after you release the push
> button cause the relay has failed in the "ON" mode and it's already too
late
> to save the plugs AND a voltmeter so you can tell when you have cooked a
> plug cause of an extra chipmunk or two.

The automatic system sucks. Most of the CUCV equipment we have used the
old-style temp sensor (military never upgraded across the board, it seems),
and came with a random variety of either the 'dimmer switch'-style or silver
canister relays. Both fail. The bakelite 'dimmer switch' style more than
the other type, but fail they do. If you want to do all the upgrades to get
the 'automatic' system working again, you're usually into a controller card,
the temp sensor and a relay - just so you can revisit the whole process
again in a year or so. Pass.

I've put the manual system in everything CUCV in the movie fleet, and put a
heavy-duty relay in place of the original. I've also wired dashboard
indicator lights on the output side of the Glow Plug relay to warn if power
is going to the plugs any time it shouldn't be. I've had no problems since.
Couple that system with AC60G's and I can't imagine anyone having a problem
ever. Starting instructions go like this:

1) Try start it.
2) If it doesn't start, 12 secs on the button. Try again.

That's it. I held out with the original system on my own 1009 because I was
too stubborn to give up on it, but, wouldn't ya know, the relay failed and
kept the glow plugs energized until they performed rather like overly
expensive fuses and superheated their way to an early demise. Fortunately I
had a can of Starting Fluid (and yes, "just a whiff" is enough) so I didn't
have to hitch-hike that time, but I could've just as easily been 40 miles
into the bush without one.

We used to spend a lot of time and money on glow plug related CUCV problems.
Now we don't. Up to the reader to decide which is 'better'.