Re: [MV] Military Only Zone-Response

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 22:27:52 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "william f cox" <grntrks@juno.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 9:51 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Military Only Zone-Response

> Dave,
> I tend to agree with you. It's wonderful to see a " museum quality
> restoration " but would a person be willing to expose that vehicle to
> inclement weather for a parade or rally? Or risk possible damage while
> driving from "road hazards" or an accident? Personally, I would not.

The thing I remember most from being a kid was being fascinated with the
military stuff when it used to show up public events, and naturally, being a
kid, I wanted to sit in it and get my picture taken and check it out - and I
think I'm in the hobby today because a few of those owners obliged and
recognized that the curious 9 yr olds of today might be the hobby's future
tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I also came across the type who figured their canvas seat
which had seen several hundred National Guard asses in its lifetime couldn't
stomach a single kid sitting in it for a second, or fussed over the NOS horn
button they just installed on their MB and wouldn't let a kid honk it just
once to hear the Road Runner noise it made. When I got my first vehicle
(M37), I cleaned it up, fixed it up, painted it, put all the radio gear in
it it once had - and took it to my first event. The cab doors stayed open
ever since that day, and any kid who asked to climb up inside and get mom to
take his picture was more than welcome to do just that - and upholstery and
horn button rubber be damned.

I can fully understand someone with an eat-off-the-engine-hatch restoration
worrying about grubby candy-flossed fingerprints on his hi-gloss #319 Olive
Drab (*cough*) - but I equally understand why I will never be one of those
people. Maybe that's because, for me, the only thing better than a GPW
expert nodding appreciatively as he sees how many little "F"s I've soldered
on my bolts is seeing some kid grinning from ear to ear completely absorbed
in a Rat Patrol moment.

Anyway - again - not dissing the $400,000.00 restorations suitable for
turntables in dusty museums...just pointing out why my mileage varies. Have
to admit I drooled puddles over Littlefields' stuff just like everyone else
in the MVPA. though -- but as a big kid. :)