Re: [MV] Military Only Zone-Response

From: chance wolf (chance_wolf@shaw.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 19:44:15 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "HOWARD WRIGHT" <dvsww2@mindspring.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 12:11 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Military Only Zone-Response

> > Well, I was the guy who sent out the email saying the
> > event had to WWII vehicles and the people dressed in
> > WWII clothing, so the target is here if you want to
> > take a swing at me.

Missed the original message, but up here in Canada (Western Command Chapter,
MVPA), we have the odd event which restricts vehicle participation to
certain years - primarily the Ft. Rodd Hill "living history" event where
vehicle participation is constrained to those vehicles representing eras in
which the Coast Artillery fort would've been in operation. It's a fair
restriction, and the members and their vehicles from our chapter who show up
are in fine company as many of the re-enactor's 'interpretations' are
astoundingly well done, and those of us who show up in battledress with
period kit along with our vehicles are both a good advertisment for the
hobby at large, and the MVPA in particular.

Just off topic for a bit, but we've also had events (parades mostly, but not
exclusively), where vehicle participation has been pretty much restricted to
a certain number of vehicles, and that number was to be made up of vehicles
which were top-notch restorations, and not what most of us would think of as
'Combat Class'. I...don't...like those, and typically don't participate. I
can hear Colin Stevens saying "that's because you don't have anything
without bald tires yourself" (*grin*), but that's not really it at all. If
they want a parade ostensibly to commemorate the Liberation of Europe or
something else with a military commemorative theme, excluding those vehicles
which have a more 'in theatre' appearance seems a bit...arrogant. Either
way - not playing. <shrug>. I'd sooner do airshows and things where the
kids can ooooh and aaaah the way I did when I was a kid than have some frust
rated curator glower at me while noting the angle of my grease fittings as I
pass the reviewing stand.

Diff'rent strokes, I suppose.