Re: [MV] Deuce Engine Heater

From: Stephen & Jeanne Keith (cckw@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 05:02:17 PST

Back in the early 70's here in NH, my plow truck (46 Chevy 1.5 ton dump)
didn't like to start when it was around 0 which it was a lot those years. I
tried a number of things and finally found the answer:

I would take a 1 pound coffee can and put about 1/2 inch of gasoline in it
and light it (with great difficulty) and set it under the oil pan. Because
the
engine was a gasser, I would watch it for a while and keep it away from the
fuel pump side. Coming back in 1/2 hour, it would start like it was
summer time!!!!

Disclaimer: Yes this is somewhat dangerous, though have you ever tried
to light gasoline in a can like this? If the match touches the gasoline, it
may
just as well be water as the match will go out. If you had to do this with
kero or diesel and your life depended upon it, choose the gun it is
faster...

Steve AKA Dr Deuce