Re: [MV] Deuce Engine Heater

From: rertman@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 06:59:10 PST

I prefer freeze plug heaters because the coolant is everywhere in the engine
except in the oil pan (I hope!). Therefore, the fuel in the injectors will
stay flowable and the coolant will transfer the heat to just about everyplace
in the engine. Even the oil will remain reasonably flowable because the heat
will migrate to colder places, including the oil pan via the oil pump pickup
in the pan.

If you're in a REALLY cold area, use two freeze plug heaters...and don't
forget the diesel fuel tank. I recall from my days in Maine that many diesel
trucks had tubing that circulated some coolant through a heat exchanger in the
fuel tank. Maybe one of those pad heaters would do well to be attached to the
fuel tank.

Dick