Re: [MV] Deuce Engine Heater

From: James M. Atkinson (jmatk@tscm.com)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 08:26:22 PST

Here is the type and size of unit that I prefer.

         http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=97788-000000234-R55BT

         http://www.reddyheat.com/reddy/products/r60.html

         http://www.desaint.com/Lowes/pages/RH60.html

or

         http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=207220-234-RH170T

         http://www.reddyheat.com/reddy/products/rh200vt.html

         http://www.desaint.com/Lowes/pages/RH200.html

It mounts nicely on the drivers side wheel well, and you can use an elbow
to direct the heat into the engine compartment though the swing fire port.

If you go for a long term installation, you can remove the tank on the unit
and draw fuel right from your own vehicles fuel tank, but be sure to add
full METAL ducting to the front of the unit so you don't jam up the heater
with road grime. Also, you can draw the cold air from the inside of the cab
or engine compartment.

On the larger 5 ton type trucks you can up-size the heater, and add an air
intake cap that matches the air cap on the air filter.

I have found it helpful to split/divide the ducting so that 25% of the air
gets directed into the vehicles cab, and into the defroster tubing.

Optionally, you can just place one of these units on the ground (raised up
on a couple of cinder blocks) blowing hot air into the area on the drivers
side of the engine. Since heat rises, and the system is forced air you can
throw the heat about 8 feet out which does a great job of not only heating
the engine, but the oil pan and radiator as well.

Sorry, I should have mentioned all of this in my initial posting.

-jma