Re: [MV] red Diesel fuel in GI M1009?

From: James M. Atkinson (jmatk@tscm.com)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 13:38:45 PST

When I was on active duty several decades back, I bought my first Duece at
auction and used it as my primary transportation while in the military
(much to the annoyance of the base commander). I also used it for multiple
cross country trips, and in all kinds of wether... even took it to Hawaii
for two years.

Installed a 2nd tank kit, but instead of installing the secondary tank in
the regular location I installed a large 250 gallon low profile tank with
baffles in the bed of the truck, plus a hand operated pump. When I was on
base, or off-road I burned "Red Diesel" from the big tank (which
technically was my primary tank) .I also used red diesel to run my heaters,
generators, auxiliary AC, and air compressors.

I kept clear diesel in the original tank and switched to it several miles
prior to using the truck on a road outside the base.

-jma