Re: [MV] red Diesel fuel in GI M1009?

From: rertman@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 10:53:15 PST

Chris:

Just take a sample from the tank and check it for color. If it's red,
you know the fuel is the untaxed version. You might want to drive the
vehicle around a lot until the tank's nearly empty, then fill it at your
favorite place with regular #2 road diesel. Some states make a big deal
about using red fuel on the road. CA hits you with a major fine for that.
Hopefully, the color is just the red dye. Was there actual rust in your
fuel drips, or just the color? Rust will have particles in it, so you
should sample the fuel into a clear glass and check it for particles.
Rust particles will sink to the bottom. The red dye will stay in solution.

Happy dieseling. :)

Dick