Re: [MV] red Diesel fuel in GI M1009?

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 13:02:18 PST

         The Military uses what is called JP-8 which is essentially a use
in any vehicle type of Diesel fuel which is dyed Red in color. If you plan
to use generic Diesel fuel from your local fuel /truck stop or gas station
that sells on the road Diesel which is nicknamed Highway Antifreeze because
of it's light green color don't worry about the remaining dye in the fuel
system. It will disappear over several fill ups of the legal on the road
Diesel fuel.
         I was driving an 18 over the road when they made the switch from
high sulphur Diesel to todays low sulphur Diesel and never flushed my tanks
like some trucking companies did. By the time I brought my truck back to
base for malignance they opened the fuel caps and looked inside with a
flashlight and asked where I'd flushed the fuel system. They were quite
surprised when I told them I hadn't flushed it at all. The dye is primarily
used by the State DOT Officers to determine if you are using taxed or
untaxed fuel. If your not using the M-1009 commercially the likely hood of
your tank fuel being checked is very6 very small.

Jim

At 02:01 PM 12/7/2003, Chris Case wrote:
>I'm and old wrench-bender new to diesels. While replacing a broken valve
>spring on my fresh-from-the-government CUCV, I noticed that the fuel drips
>from the disconnected injector lines were rusty-red. I thought maybe I've
>got a contaminated fuel system, til I read about 'un-taxed' red dyed diesel
>fuel. I'd guess the military wouldn't pay taxes, also the dye could act as
>theft prevention marker. Does this make any sense, or shoud I pull the tank
>?

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com
1998 IMZ 8.103