Re: [MV] Changing Tires

From: Marc Strangfeld (curlyjoe98@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 18:01:45 PST

I suggest buying a good 3/4 drive ratchet set. I
bought assorted components on Ebay until I had a
complete set. It is all good stuff, Proto, Snap-on,
Wright, Herbrand. And it didn't cost much more than a
junk import set. I also got lucky and picked up the
highly prized gear reduction wrench, cheap. When I do
tire work I just break them loose with the 3/4 breaker
bar or gear wrench and zip them off with standard 1/2
drive air ratchet. The first time I went to change
tires I forgot that the drivers side is left-hand
threads and take my word for it the gear wrench can
tear threads right out of a lug nut. I think this is
quicker than waiting for the compressor to refill the
tanks.

As far as a jack, I use a 12 ton bottle jack. I also
bought a 3.5 ton service jack from sears that works
ok.

Marc