Re: [MV] Changing Tires

From: Bruce Kalin (pball@csionline.net)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 19:52:48 PST

On the first "unofficial convoy" to Churchville, MD my friend blew a
front tire on his 5 ton. A 1" socket with a long handle, a 6' pipe on
the handle (breaker bar) and the two of us standing on, jumping on,
pulling down, and cursing at the lug nuts did not move them at all.
After cajoling, pleading and arguing with the state trooper who wanted
the truck towed off the side of the New Jersey Turnpike immediately
(only by their authorized towing service) we called a tire service
company. What made this all the worse was the fact that the truck was
about 50 feet from the entrance to the service area on the turnpike! To
hook the truck and tow it into the rest area was not an option, as this
was still considered part of the turnpike and only authorized repair/
tow companies are allowed on the turnpike, as it is a "private" road.
That is why we DO NOT use the turnpike for any convoy movements. Besides
which, route 295 runs parallel to the southern half of the turnpike and
their are no tolls.

Anyway, to get to the point, the tire man used a 1" air gun, a gas
powered compressor in the back of his pick up and, 10 minutes later the
wheel and tire were off, and the spare installed in it's place. Of
course, that little adventure cost $225 for the tire shops travel time
and labor. It was still a lot cheaper than the estimated $400 plus to
have the truck towed off the turnpike, and then have someone else come
down at an additional charge to change the tire. I NEVER travel without
my 3/4" air gun any more. The gun, sockets and hose with quick connect
fittings cost me less than the price of one turnpike tire change.
 Forget the hand tools and the fat guys jumping on a pipe - it doesn't
always work.

Bruce