Re: [MV] deuce lug nuts

From: ET Lance-Gómez (etlance@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 17:38:07 PST

John is correct. I apologize if I rehash some of the points from other posts. I
will add some new info at the end if you read thru.

The torque values were given by Bjorn but let us assume 400 ft-lb. This means
that applying 400 lbs of force on a 1 ft long bar, or 200 lb on a 2 ft long bar.
Now for someone like me who weighs a whole 165 lbs, I think the impact wrench is
a good idea. That aside the image of beefy guys leaning on 6 fl long cheater
bars to break lug nuts loose suggests that other forces might be at play. These
can include corrosion and galling of the metal to metal contact.

Therefore, the use of anti-seize can reduce these extraneous forces which raise
that needed to remove the fastener. Of course, the concern is does the lubricant
and aluminum particles present in anti-seize create an improper torque condition
leading to overtorqueing or loosening of the fastener.

Here's the new info. I happen to live near Snap-on (that little tool company in
WI) and know that Snap-on did a study of torqueing fasteners with and without
anti-seize. The results showed no appreciable difference in proper torque
application. Unfortunately, I don't have actual data to give you. My info comes
from one of the local auto tech instructors who was principal in encouraging
Snap-on to do the study.

So, net, net use anti-seize.
TED