Re: [MV] trailer brakes

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Thu Dec 25 2003 - 09:37:39 PST

         True enough on all counts.

         The one item the M-35, M-54 series doesn't have is a trailer cut
off supply valve in the cab operated by the driver when parking the truck.
Only a manual shutoff valve on the emergency line just before the gladhand
connection. So if I were hauling a trailer equipped with the air tank and
proper valves I would walk to the end of the truck doing your post trip
walk around and shut off the manual emergency air line and ( look away when
doing this so it doesn't blow dirt in your eyes) remove the gladhand and
let it hang until your ready to hit the road at point you simply reapply
the gladhand and open the manual valve. This would give you an additional
axle of parking brake while eating getting fuel etc..

         The easy way is to install a standard spring applied parking brake
valve with the RED handle only. In the commercial truck driving world RED
air brake handles are only for trailer air supply which after the air
reservoir on the trailer pumps up to a preset pressure it then releases the
trailer brakes as it now has enough air supply to operate the service
brakes ( foot pedal). The red air valve isn't a big deal to install, just
make sure you tap into the air supply line in the cab and disconnect the
original supply point for the emergency line at the front of the truck
where it hooks up. You the have to pipe the connection for the now
disconnected line to the red valve you are installing in the cab. Leave the
manual valve at the rear to prevent foreign objects from getting inside.
The red (usually states Trailer supply on the plastic) will then only
supply air when it is pushed in with air in the system. When the air
pressure in the truck drops to the point where it won't keep the red valve
locked in the supply position it will pop out on it's own.

Jim

At 09:30 AM 12/25/2003, Stephen & Jeanne Keith wrote:
>OR rust the shoes to the drums
>
>OR cause the wheel cylinders to stick in the out position...
>

>Steve AKA Dr Deuce

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com
1998 IMZ 8.103