Re: [MV] trailer brakes

From: Stephen & Jeanne Keith (cckw@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 14:39:58 PST

What you are thinking about is maxi-brakes where there is a dual
chambered air brake can. One chamber has a spring in it to apply the
brakes and it takes air pressure to counteract the spring and allow the
vehicle to move. The other portion of the canister works like the normal
air brake canister. All newer commercial trucks use a system like this.
Your trailer does not have this system

The newer electric braked trailers have a switch and battery to activate
the brakes upon break-away. Even my WW2 Bomb Trailers had
this system....

In NH a couple years ago, I got the law defining "antique vehicle"
changed to add "trailer" to the existing car, truck and motorcycle.

I did this because my WW2 water buffalo weighs in at 3,495 lbs
and by law anything over 3,000 is suppose to have service brakes.
It does not. The basic antique law states that whatever it was made
with is OK as long as it is registered as an antique.

Perhaps you could try getting the law changed.....

Steve AKA Dr Deuce