Re: [MV] Shop Building recommendations

From: Stephen & Jeanne Keith (cckw@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 13:33:05 PST

Well you know me Ron:

I have two, the ROD (Raymond [NH] Ordnance Depot) 42x60 $12,500 kit
delivered
and the POD (Pembroke [NH] Ordnance Depot 30x60 $30,000 turnkey
Never buy a kit! The ROD is one and took me forever to build! Had 4 barn
raising partys and fewer and fewer friends came.....

Electric: 200 Amp service is plenty. The compressor is 30 amps, the welder
is 30
or 50 amps, etc. Just get a box with lots of slots

The POD has 8" packed crushed gravel and is fine with the 4" concrete on it.
The ROD has a full foundation (4') with lots of expensive fill and 8" of
crushed
gravel and 4" of concrete. Due to the full foundation and the fact that is
set for
one year before concrete, the ROD has fewer cracks (minor) in the floor.

As you know the POD is a Morton Building and looks a lot nicer than the ROD
(AKA Chicken barn looking galvanized barn). The ROD will however outlast the
POD. The POD is a pole barn and in 50 years when the posts rot off, I will
have
a dirt blanket. The ROD will last until a tornado (unlikely) or a bad
hurricane (possible)

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE SET-BACKS IN THE TOWN OF CHOICE!
At the ROD, I had to be 25' from the lot line. That was tough! Because of
that, I have to
do a Y turn to get the deuce into it.

DO NOT use an oil or kero fired salamander. Use propane for a space heater.
Cordon
off a smaller area as a work area but remember when you take a 6 ton chunk
of M35
into it, it will suck up the heat for hours!. I use a localized propane
space heater with
blower to blow on me where I am working.

DO NOT paint in the barn. Look at Larrys

Morton in NH (POD) http://www.mortonbldgs.com/MapCity.cfm?FindCity=118
Miracle Steel: (ROD) http://www.miracletruss.com/storage.html

 If you do buy a kit, Annie the CCKW-Schield-Bantam crane will be
roadworthy by the summer...

Good luck!
Steve AKA Dr Deuce