Re: [MV] Shop Building recommendations

From: Jim Stead (gadget@easypath.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 10:47:05 PST

  I've been using the same heater with the oil burner attachment in my 22x25
garage for a couple years here in NY. It does a good job even on the colder
days. It's helpful to put a fan up to blow air back down the outside of the
stack. A large amount of heat will come down from the ceiling and hot
exhaust pipe, plus you get some air movement to make the heat more even
throughout your space.
  The only downside to the heater is that you shouldn't run it unattended.
Since it's gravity fed, you could end up with fuel all over the place or a
fire should something hiccup. If you need to leave a heater running, this
isn't the thing to use.
  I used a Ready propane salamander briefly, but it burned *way* more
propane than I could afford. Plus, it left an odor and eye-irritating fumes
in the garage when it was run on the lower settings.
  If you're building something new, I agree with the previous post about
using radiant heat in the concrete floor. It works very well, especially if
you're going to be on the floor working on your vehicles.

Jim