Re: [MV] Normandy Trivia and it goes on and on

From: Nigel Hay (Nigel@milweb.net)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 12:16:40 PST

I am lucky- in all the many years of presenting the Arena events at
Beltring, I have met all the jeeps and even a Dodge Ambulance that came
ashore with the FIRST wave at Omaha, many that saw active service in every
major battle in ETO (including those top secret pre-production Hotchkisses)
plus dozens of vehicles that were not only in Kelly's Heros but were still
roadworthy enough to take part in Private Ryan 30 odd years later. One of
the best anecdotes was a chap who claimed his ex Norwegian Dodge was not
only a D Day and Arnhem veteran, but was finally knocked out by an 88 at
Bastogne. ( he had a log book apparently which detailed its life) A
remarkable restoration by the US military I felt before this vehicle was
delivered to Norway under the MAP but never mind. Sometimes it was hard not
to challenge the proud owners as I interviewed them to the crowd.
Er, that's enough cynicism for one day,
NIGE