Re: [MV] Q: Chemical dipping for MV and M151 A2 Bodies?

From: Larry Tighe (larryradio@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 07:41:49 PST

Buzz,

It may not have been coated at the factory....I'm sure it wasn't if it's an
early version. I have a TM here someplace that shows all the places to
drill holes in the jeep and insert a tube to pump undercoating into the
vulnerable spots. It looks like a organizational maintenance procedure as I
don't believe a unit would have the tanks and pumps to do the job.

 Fortunately my M151A2 is coated. But even so, I have rust through the
outer skin by the channel that runs from the drivers side to the passenger's
side foot wells. There may be more when I get it back from the bead
blaster.

The holes that were supposed to drain the water were clogged with mud.

As an "aside", when issued my brand spanky new M151, we were on a convoy to
somewhere and at a rest stop, the Squadron mechanics came around and removed
all the rear drive shafts....the universals were failing en mass. We
continued on 4 WD using just the front wheel to get us there.

Lar