RE: [MV] M35 tire ?

From: Mark Gibson (MGibson@hughesarchitects.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 13:02:53 PST

I busted more than my share of tires when I was in the corps and the
horror stories of people getting injured with these things are true.
When we were out in the field, we would bust the tires off and replace
them and then slide the tire under a jeep with the split rim facing
down. Only then would we air them up. I saw a guy sitting on one of
these rims with the split rim facing down and airing the thing up. The
rim blew off and Marine and tire both took a short trip. It wasn't bad,
it just raised the guy off the ground about a foot and sent him rolling
across the ground. But the jolt he took from it made him sore all over
for about a week. Another time I saw, during a demonstration of how
dangerous they were, one in this position without the person on top. The
rim blew off as it was intended to do for the demonstration and the tire
and wheel flew up in the air nearly six feet

Morale to the story: These are dangerous rims to be dealing with. They
can and have injured and even killed people in the past. My advice is to
get a tire cage or even better, get safer rims.