Re: [MV] My big green truck won't start

From: Ron (rojoha@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 05:46:18 PST

    Seeing that RAM is in Florida relaxing and seems to be keeping a low
profile on the list, I'll chant his standard list mantra....

"Bill, do you have any of the manuals for the truck?"

    If not, that is where you HAVE TO start. You can buy them ALL on CD on
ebay for $10 to $20, or from Gene Panatano on the list here or, if you have
a fast (DSL or Cable) connection, you can download a good chunk of them (
except the -10 Operarors manual) for free at :
http://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/find_etm.cfm

 In the TM text block, put in either M44 or M35 and hit search, then right
click on the manual(s) you want, select 'Save target as....' and put them in
a folder in your Documents or on your desktop so you can find them.
    Then just follow the steps outlined in the troubleshooting sequences.
    Be advised that the older -209 series manuals on the deuce (avaiable on
the CD) are far superior to the newer version -361 series manuals that are
on the LOGSA site now.
     I guess the reason is because the 60's and later birthed kids need to
be led by the nose in thinking, where as the -209 series of the 60's manual
required some knowledge of mechanics and assume you know how to find the
engine to begin with. The -209 series and earlier manuals don't start
procedures with sequences like "Park Vehicle, shut off engine, apply parking
break, chock wheels, remove jewelry, don't lick the battery terminals, do
not use matches to inspect fuel tank level" etc, when your trying to change
the oil. Or spell out 'Soldier B' to help 'Soldier A' remove the 200 lb
franistan. The older manuals figure you were bright enough to look at this
big hunk of metal and realise that when you pull the bolts holding the
tranny to engine or frame, it WILL fall, so ya better yell over to Charlie
to give you a hand. Maybe it was of all the 60's kids watching cartoons with
Wylie Coyote getting crushed by anvils getting up and shaking it off that
required the "WARNINGS" and "CAUTIONS" in the newer manuals. I won't even
get in to Connie Rods PC morphication over the years....
    For the best descriptions of the mechanical systems and great photos,
the mid 50's era manuals (like the TM 9-8022) are best. They do not cover
the engines we see in the deuces today, since they originally had gas
engines or the first variant of the multifuel which was quickly replaced,
but they give great detail in what the designers were trying to do and why
they did it.
    If you don't have the manuals, and you've never owned a toy like this
before, you could be in for some painful and expensive lessons, like using
ether and the Manifold pre heat system (DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!) at
the same time...
     The list is a great source of info, but I notice of late that a lot of
the new Deuce questions are not being answered as quickly as they used to be
a couple of years ago, probably because a lot of us who were newbies back
then are not responding as quickly as the oldsters (mechanical Elmers) used
to back then.
    Good Luck, Ron (zo)