NON DEUCE OWNERS SKIP Re: [MV] My big green truck ...

From: Ron (rojoha@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 15:10:11 PST

Gotten a couple of folks asking what caused the feces deposition in the
unter shorten experience in the first place, so here's a brief (no pun
intended) explanation.
    Here, to the best of my understanding, is what happened....
    The truck was towed (standard for my vehicles, I know. Put a sock in it
Bernstein!) from Ft. Devens DRMO since it would not start. It had sat for
approximatly 6 years (at least) in outdoor storage and had been stuffed into
the DRMO yard for disposal. It cranked fine, but would not start on it's
own. It would catch on ether, but only as long as you kept whiffing the
mushroom cap.
    Got it to Hankies and he and I started playing with the sick puppy. IIRC
a lead from the list led us to the injector/fuel compensator assembly. This
truck is a normally aspirated (Non Turbo for the newbies out there)
multifuel, and the compensator had NOT been pegged or bypassed for diesel
only operation.
    NOTE to Newbies....your newly acquired toy may have started out as a
Multi Fuel Compression Ignition Engine, but it seems that the majority (NOT
ALL) that made it through the years to still have been in service and make
it into GLs paws were 'fixed, emasculated, or neutered' (choose one) to run
ONLY on diesel. Before you play the 'I wonder if it will run on this?' game,
make sure the fuel compensator is still operational and/or has not been
bypassed. Check for a "DIESEL FUEL ONLY" stickers on the oil filter housings
(maybe facing the engine) or fenders or dash board. Since mine hasn't been
neutered, you need to talk to one of the folks out there who have a neutered
deuce. Putting MOGAS or AVGAS in a neutered CIE could ruin your engine and
your day, since the thinner gas is gonna blow through your injector pump at
a higher rate than it should. Maybe someone out there with a minor in
thermodynamics or such can figure out wether this would be just interesting
or catastrophic from BTU standpoint.(Hmmm, it just dawned on me that several
people out there who make fun of my non 'whistler' deuce may have 'whistler'
deuces that have been 'neutered'. So though my deuce may not be as
impressive as thier 'whistler', it can still, shall we say. play the full
game. Know what I mean, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, don't ya know....)
    But I digress...
        Back at the nogo deuce, we pulled the access cover/inspection plate
off of the fuel compensator and there we found the lever that is moved to
shut the fuel flow off when you pull the 'Engine Stop' handle in the cab had
stuck in the engine stop (fuel off) posistion. This lever is spring loaded
so that when you push the 'Engine Stop' handle back in it 'springs' forward
to allow the throttle plate to be active to pedal movement. In the 'Engine
Stop' posistion it locks the throttle plate in the off position, stopping
all fuel flow through the injector head. The operative word here is
"spring".
    We didn't understand that it was supposed to spring back and forth with
the application of a light finger tip motion at this time, and would soon
rue this lack of knowledge. We discovered it was locked back in the 'engine
stop' posistion and may have been parked all those years ago with the
'Engine Stop' handle in the out posistion as the manual states. But I don't
think the manual expected it to be left that way for years. So we gave it a
few gentle taps and it moved forward to where it was supposed to be, and we
were good to go, or so we thought. Unkown to us, by tapping it forward we
had also shifted the compensator wedge, throttle plate and the governor
linkage to full open.
    The rest you know. Switch on, crank, Vroooooom, shutdown or feces (not
sure what occured first) followed by a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot happened
evaluation.

    It took about 2 1/2 hours of constant tapping back and forth on the
stuck lever to get it to move freely like it was supposed to. Also a couple
of cans of carburator cleaner and some brake cleaner. It took only 15
minutes of trying to work around and over the left fender and heater
assembly before they got pulled off, allowing you to get right in there and
stand between the left front wheel and frame to work on the compensator with
no obstruction.
    If we had had the injection pump / compensator manual we might have
known the little black lever was supposed to move back and forth freely, but
we didn't. Only swift thinking by someone who knew what to do kept the
outcome from becoming a real bummer.
    On the next start attempt, we had the rubber hoses to the intake
manifold off and a piece of plywood large enough to cover the opening in
case. Turned out it wasn't needed

    And now you know the rest of the story.....