Re: [MV] Relating to M series split rims

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 15:13:07 PST

Some specifics:

Yes, the rims need to be respected, BUT once installed with the tire
inflated, they are damned near impossible to remove. The tire bead and the
air pressure behind it keeps the rim in place. Take one apart and check it
out!

They can fly off while the tire is inflated with the tire bead NOT SEATED
PROPERLY.
The process of inflating the tire can then push the rim off.

When you have a puncture and the tire is deflated, the pressure is off the
rim but it stays in place.
When airing down for sand or whatever, there is little chance for the rim to
fly off,

HOWEVER, WHEN REINFLATING the tires, then there is a real possibility that
the tire bead may have been dislocated while driving on the aired down tire
and the process may indeed cause the rim to fly off. This is where you have
to be careful and take precautions.

Do respect the "split rim" tires, just treat them right and they will not
hurt you.

The M37 3/4 ton truck, among others, also has the same split rim
arrangement, all facing out. It's not only the deuce's front tires.

Having said this, I'll probably be buried with a ring of steel deeply
embedded in my body..

Have a great day,
Bjorn