Re: [MV] 2.5 tons

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 09:26:36 PST

In a message dated 2/1/04 11:11:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jeeperjim@cox-internet.com writes:

> Any particular years or manufacturers better than other?

I tend to like the updated trucks with the spring seat and airshift transfer
case. There is more front seat room with the fixed seat though. The sprag
trucks work equally as well too. I drive long distances on the highway and the
airshift gives me the option of locking hubs for fuel and wear savings. Years and
manufacturers really make no difference and you're not guaranteed to get an
AM General just because the data plate says so. Shop for the features you want.

> Which engines are better or would be called first choice if you could
> choose, etc.?
Here is another matter of preference. the -1D engines have the most recent
updates. they also have the quieter turbo. If you want to talk to your
passengers then the non-turbo is the way to go. If you like smokescreens you want the
non-turbo too. If you can't live without the turbo but still want to keep your
hearing, go with the -1D. If you want to sneak up on somebody while driving a
deuce (harhar) go gas powered. If you like noise and want everybody in a 3
block radius to hear you coming, go for the -1C engine. I've really found no
differences between the Hercules, White and Continental engines. Oh, by the way, I
would advise against the LDS427 engine.

> Would you better off to go for a better drivetrain rather than body or vice
> versa when viewing them at G.L., state auctions, county auctions, ect.?
Thats a 6 in one hand, 1/2 dozen in the other hand type of question. Are you
more comfortable changing a clutch or a door?
GSA trucks more frequently have rigged modifications. They are sometimes hard
to figure out. Sometimes but not all too often you can get an unmolested
truck from GSA. Nice thing about GSA is no buyers premium and no EUC which can be
a pain for first timers. Also, don't forget dealers. If you're not the
mechanical type you can easily wrap up more money in an initially cheap fixer upper
than a nice, test driven, truck would cost.

> I am considering a purchase for general usage and fun and am loking for
> guidance from the pros.
Pro I'm not and not many will say they are. You certainly came across a lot
of experience on this list though. My last thought. Get manuals before buying a
truck. The ones on CD are dirt cheap and plentiful. Read them again and
again. Be familiar with what you are looking at before you look at it. The manuals
can't solve every problem but one who knows the manuals, knows the basics of
the truck.

Regards,
Kenny

Kenneth Engle