Re: [MV] Roll bar on 5 ton and deuces? Anyone know of a mil one?

From: Steve Randall (srandall64@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 13 2004 - 19:31:48 PST

I'd have to agree, The photo of Johansen truck, looks like the roll over
protector is attached to the bed of the truck and not the frame.(hence, bed
bolts are protecting you).. The fact is that the 12,000 lb truck number one
is more likely to roll on to it's side as apposed to roll over because of
the slower speeds of these trucks and the weight is concentrated below
centerline in the truck. In the event the truck rolled over (as in 360
degree) the impact pounds on the roll bar would be more like 36,000
pounds..Another way of looking at it would be draw a straight line from the
top of the roll over bar down to the top of the engine block and see what is
left for space in the cab after putting all of the cab outside that line in
the cab with you, because if it did roll, all the sheet metal would be
crushed down to al least the engine block. The only way to build a safe
rollover device would be to make a NASCAR style cage (on a much heavier
scale) that would encase the entire occupant area for a minimal impact of
what 18 tons? Would be very hard to accomplish in the area of space provided
and still have a functional truck.
Just my two cents,
Steve