Re: [MV] Roll bar on 5 ton and deuces? Anyone know of a mil one?

From: Ron (rojoha@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 08:09:44 PST

FWIW.....
    Several years ago while surfing I came across a series of TARCOM reports
that documented the problem of the roll over tendencies of the M35A3's with
the CTIS specifically and the M series 2 1/2 and 5 tonners in general. I
just spent an hour or so looking for the file on some of my computers and
online with no joy. They might have been GAO reports too.
    It went into possible ways to lessen the carnage of M series rollovers,
but the bottom line was 'feces occurs' in the operation of these vehicles.
It pointed out that they were tactical MILITARY vehicles that were designed
to be transported in a knocked down condition to meet transportability
guidelines and could NOT be retrofitted with safety systems like roll bars
and ROPS with out severely impinging on their designed duty. It went into
the light weight cab sheet metal which was picked to lessen weight for
transportability reasons and why ROPS could not be attached to cab
structures, since they would collapse. It also looked at vehicles with
machine gun rings on them and pointed out they were more likely to cause
more loss of life since they were only attached to the sheet metal with
muffler clamps and those that did survive the first roll tended to vault the
truck higher and imparting a faster spin leading to a more catastrophic
ground impact on the next roll. More survivors (a relative term due to death
vs. paraplegic results) resulted from being thrown clear than those that
stayed with/in the vehicle since the cargo bed height (12 inches) tended to
be the finished height of the disaster.
    Bottom line was that almost ALL of the accidents were driver error due
to speed, overloading, tire inflation settings wrong, too much towed load
and the like. There were a couple of instances of wheel failure, broken
rear spring bogies or catastrophic steering gear malfunction. But the
solution called for DRIVER TRAINING and annual recertification/refreshers
and setting speed limits of 20 MPH for M35A3's with CTIS operating on curvy
roads and the recommendation of the conversion of CTIS vehicles back to
conventional 10 wheel arrangement.

    These trucks do not meet DOT standards or FHTSA requirements of today,
or for that matter yesterday. Unless we want to buy them with form 97's
stating 'OFF ROAD USE ONLY' we have to operate them responsibly. That's why
you see M35s towed by 5 tons in the military, not F350s or other Deuces.

    Modifications that we do to these trucks are usually 3/4 ass at best.
Some of the folks on the list are qualified enough due to engineering
background to make modifications. But the Dept. of the Army was quite
serious that NO modifications were allowed unless they were approved by Tank
and Automotive Command. Failure to follow that directive by a unit Commander
WAS a career breaker for good reason.
    So if ya want to feel warm and fuzzy cruising down the road, buy a
Volvo. Otherwise before you take your deuce out next time make sure your
present and future trips aren't going to be a 'Oh, yeah, well I can top
that' story around the campfire at the next rally. Because while we all
hoot and howl while your telling it, after you wander away, the conversation
usually gets around to "Jeeze, what a dope" and "I'm always gonna let him
go in front of me on convoys" type of comments.
    Stay safe out there, the continuing privilege of us operating our big
green toys rests with ALL of Us, 24/7/365....