Re: [MV] Looking for a few good solenoids!

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 02:20:08 PST

Ok Caleb,

         Why are you making things more complex? Do it the way Diesel truck
with two or more tanks have done it for over 50 years with very little
problem. You can use the old system aka: a gravity feed system from the
auxiliary tank to the primary tank which feeds the engine. Both tanks must
be mounted on the frame at the same level. The gravity transfer line is
mounted at the lowest point of the fuel tanks and runs in a straight line
to the other tank be sure to use shutoff valves in each fuel tank in case
the transfer line is broken. There are generally plugged fittings where the
transfer line attach at either the end of the tank or in the middle of the
bottom of the tank. Replace the plugs with shutoff valves.

         Its only in the last 5 years or so that the civilian trucking
world went to a split fuel system aka it feeds off both tanks
simultaneously and the fuel return is split between both tanks. The
advantage of the split return system is even though you don't fill both
tanks full it evens each tank out with out the possibility of something
catching the transfer gravity line and ripping it and causing a spill.

         If you have a good fuel level gauge and it sounds like you do go
back to single feed from the right tank to the fuel injection pump and use
a single line to feed from the left hand tank to the right hand tank with a
manually operated switch inside the truck controlled by the driver. As long
as the fuel fill cap is on and correctly mounted with a good gasket you
route the right vent line to the left tank return fitting which will the
vent the right tank when not transferring fuel. Run the transfer pump when
you see 1/4 tank on the right side and shut it off when it reads 3/4.

James Shanks
n1vbn@arrl.net
1998 IMZ 8.103
1984 HD FLHT-C