Re: [MV] Jet A fuel Vs. Diesel question

From: John Stewart-Smith (micdunn@ev1.net)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 09:21:05 PST

I don't know what Jet A is, nor do I know what K1 is, but here's my story;
In the 50's, 60's and 70's whenever a commander took his unit to the field,
one of the logistics problems was to haul enough fuel with them. This would
take a LOT of fuel tankers because of the differing fuels required for light
vehicles (usually Mogas), medium and heavy vehicles (usually DF 1 and DF2) ,
turbine generators (JP4), stoves (kerosene), helos (JP4 or JP5), etc. ad
infinitum.
Often the wrong fuel would be pumped into the wrong equipment, often with
disastrous results.
You get the picture.
The military recognized the problem and started to require that everything
be capable of running from diesel.
In the late 80's and all of the 90's, everything we took to the field ran
off of DF4 or JP8.
DF=Diesel Fuel, JP=Jet Propulsion.
JP8 looked like a very clean version of DF4, and if we were supporting
helos, JP8 is all we took.
This fuel ran our jet turbines, all vehicles including staff cars and
busses, small and large generators, tent and kitchen stoves, in other words;
everything requiring internal combustion.
I did notice a 'seat of your pants' increase in the performance of vehicles
burning JP8.
I did not notice an increase in wear and maintenance of any of our
equipment, in fact the internals and filters always appeared cleaner.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
-Sarge