Re: [MV] Jet A fuel Vs. Diesel question

From: John Paulding (kb9wle@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 18:20:23 PST

First off, I always use Diesel for my torpedo heater.
K-1 makes a real stink, but Diesel does not. (My
heater is tuned to spec.) Jet A makes no less stink
than Diesel, but we used to run it in the multitudes
of torpedo heaters at the airport because it was
available.

I don't understand the lubrication issues. Jet
engines use fuel nozzle injection pressures of
500-1500 PSI on average. The fuel pressure is usually
supplied by piston or gear pumps. So, considering
that the injection pump on the 2.5 ton is pressure
lubricated, I don't see it as an issue. I suppose you
might see slightly accelerated wear due to the lower
viscosity, but I think it would be negligable. A
friend of mine used a pressure lubricated diesel
injection pump to perform diesel knock tests on pure
Methanol, which most definately does not lubricate. He
had very few problems with the pump.

Also, jelling issues are not an issue because Jet A is
good down to -47 degrees F, as I recall.

The problem is that Jet A at my local airport is
2.50/gal. the last time I was there. And my airport
is usually one of the cheapest around.

John