M274 Mule MWO's, production #'s, electronic ignitions, etc...

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 10:39:21 PST

List,
    I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen any copies of MWO documents for the M274 series vehicles. I would suspect that there was some sort of documentation for upgrading the M274 to an M274A3 (and the M274A1 to an M274A4). I would also suspect that there was some documentation for the process to upgrade an M274A5 model with the wide tires & wheels, fenders, alternator, etc....
    Has anyone ever seen any of this type of material? There had to be a parts list and instructions of some type detailing the process.

    I have seen the usual production number figures for the mules, but they are only for the original manufactured models, not the rebuilt ones (A3 & A4). Does anyone have any idea how many M274A3 & M274A4 models were built by the military?

    I have heard that all A5 mules were equipped with electronic ignitions. I will assume this is only those models with batteries and electric starts? I this some type of upgrade kit with different internals for the magneto? I have never seen an "A5 only" magneto/ignition advertised for sale.

    Lastly: Has anyone ever seen small boxes (possibly transformers?) bolted to the cylinder heads of an A5 mule (with the wide tires and fenders). My father has 2 A5's with the wide tires, fenders, electric start, and alternators. I am not sure about one (I will check it), but the other has small Fairbanks-Morse devices attached to each cylinder head. The spark plug wires run from the magneto to these boxes, which have shorter wires that go to the spark plugs. Is this an additional radio noise suppression technique to prevent interference with the TOW missile launcher?

    Thanks,
    --Neil

1987 Chevrolet M1028A3 CUCV
1963 Kaiser Jeep M274A1 Mule