Re: [MV] NO MV but more on "Big Brother"

From: Richard Lathrop (lathrrs@snip.net)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 06:29:22 PST

Or convert the system to a smart card that you can take out when you leave the car. It would disable the car and allow you control of the data.

Of course the downside is that by doing all these modifications a lawyer is going to infer that you were breaking the law to go this far to defeat the system.

In NJ the OBD II system is used for emissions checks as well. Makes you wonder what other data they can get out of the system when you go for inspection.

Not sure if others were familiar with this but the EZ-PASS system can be used for speeding tickets as well. They use the times you go through tolls and calculate your average speed. There was talk of sending speeding tickets out when the driver exceeded a certain speed

Also don't forget the Qualcomm systems used in the trucking industry can be used as well for speed\location tracking

Remember that OBD II was not required until the mid-90's on vehicles. Other option is to drive an older vehicle if you are that concerned about big brother.

Rick

From: David Cole <DavidCole@tk7.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:09:35 -0500