Re: [MV] WW II OD (was) Original paint color for M135

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 07:17:00 PST

Bjorn,

>We obviously have some highly qualified paint experts on our list!
>Perhaps one of you can help me with this; what is the explanation to the
>very "brown" color of Dave Bundy's '73 deuce featured on the cover of issue
>#96 (April 2003) of MVM. That can't be a variation of OD or is it?

I'm no paint expert but I know Dave. He had that paint mixed locally as a
result of what he recalled the color being on the trucks he drove in
Vietnam. Most people don't seem to question the color so much as they
question the gloss level. But it's his truck and he's happy with it.
Perhaps the printing process for the magazine does not always reproduce the
exact original color because to me, looking at it in person, it does not
look as you describe, being to brown that is.

>Does Aervoe 24087 match Gillespie's 24087 OD semi gloss?
>If you need a scan of the front cover of the magazine, let me know.

I have sprayed Aerovoe, Sherwin-Williams, and Gillespie's version of 24087
onto sample plates. The Gillespie is a different color, to my untrained eye
it's to brown. The other two are the same and more of what I would think it
correct.

Now for MY paint question. Does anyone know for sure what Gama Goats would
have been painted from the factory? Many people claim that it's 24087 but
other data would suggest that 24087 was not used after the 50's and that
34079 became the norm. 34079 is much closer to some hidden paint areas that
we have found yet I also found some parts that were the darker color of
24087, not that either of these obsrvations mean anything. I believe that
the 34079 was concidered the base color for all the camo patterns of that
time period, that being 60's and 70's.

later,

je