Re: [MV] WW II OD (was) Original paint color for M135?

From: John K. Seidts (jseidts@astory.com)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 17:30:22 PST

Man,
        Liked very much the last two posts on this topic- very good at
articulating something I have little experience in- reality does indeed not
always match standards. Jim's probably chewing off his fingernails now, but
that's okay. A cage of monkeys always invites some stick poking... But
aside from some great anecdotes (and I mean that- I really enjoyed hearing
about how paint is applied as I don't know more than spray paints), if there
was a color or hue change between early and late WWII, any insight into who,
what, when, why and how? I'm not talking about the variations- that was
well addressed by the explanations. I am more interested in what I feel I
have observed, albeit anecdotally, that OD seems to get lighter in color as
the war goes on. If what Jim says is true (and I believe him), then the
specification didn't change, but something did to make it lighter... Has
anybody else observed this on NOS parts? And why is it so?