Re: [MV] HMMWV slave problem now no power

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 15:17:34 PST

Another item to check BEFORE you use the slave cable again is get a vom
meter and check each vehicle to make sure the polarity is correct at the
slave connection. I have seen more than a fair share wired wrong...you plug
up to a truck wired correctly and the booster vehicle eventually dies with
hot batteries. Don't use the slave cable anytime until you verify polarity.
A cheap solid state LCD vom meter from Radio Shack that fit's in your shirt
pocket only cost's $20.00 and can save you major headaches and only takes a
minute to check with a meter. Don't need any part number just walk into
any Ratshack and ask anyone who's worked there more than six months you
want the $20 shirt pocket vom meter. There is only one.

         If I remember right the center pin on the NATO version is Positive
polarity, I can't remember the polarity on the old style two pin slave
connection.

James Shanks
n1vbn@arrl.net
1998 IMZ 8.103