RE: [MV] GL (turned long)

From: Mike Maynard (mike@wesleyscott.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 15:31:51 PST

Ray, that statement is incorrect. Dealers are required to collect sales
tax on vehicles. When you go to the DMV, you take your invoice with you
showing that you paid sales tax already, and they have a form to be
filled out. They send a copy of said form to the dealer (in our case
GL) and request the tax be sent to the state. This is exactly what
happened when I went and registered my truck. In my case, they told me
that because I was registering as Agriculture that I could actually
collect my tax back. I decided that it was too much headache for me to
deal with it. But it was possible. My point is, GL being a Dealer is
required to collect the tax. The DMV should not charge you again if you
show them your invoice paying that. GL being an entity in each state
(my doing business at the DRMO lots) is most likely require to collect
sales tax for every purchase. Just like if you buy from an online store
that has an presence in your state. It seems to me where every one gets
'scrawed' is at the DMV, when the 'friendly' clerks insist that you must
pay it there.. what do they care? Its more money in the states pocket.
Who knows... maybe they have an inside competition going on? As far as
I am concerned this is the least of the problems with GL. I really
tweaked me some that they wouldn't even let the DRMO guy help me out
with a set of jumper cables from another truck. Or that they wont tow
the trucks out of their lot to at least get them in a position feasible
for loading. I had no trouble getting on the base both times I went....
and the first time, the GL guy was not there when I went and the DRMO
guy was exceptionally helpful. He helped us load the M105 onto our
trailer, and even tried to put the M101 on with it. When it didn't fit,
he even took it back off and put it in the back of my deuce to wait for
my EUC. When the GL guy was there, the DRMO guy was barely able to even
talk to me. My 97 forms came in a reasonable amount of time (within 2
weeks of me picking things up). And I am very pleased with all the
items that I have bought... all sight unseen!! I will admit to taking a
great risk on that aspect though... ;-) I feel that there is room to
improve, but I haven't seen any direct references to bad experiences as
keep getting mentioned.... just that GL is very very bad. Maybe some
people with some of he first hand bad experiences could tell their
story? It would be most useful to the guy from GL who is here on the
list. Maybe he can use some of the information.

Mike